How to use the developer console in CSGO
To maximize your ability to customize your CSGO gameplay experience, accessing the built-in developer console is paramount. Essentially, enabling the developer console allows you, as a user, to input certain commands that allow you to change anything from the color and size of your crosshair to even altering the appearance of the minimap. The possibilities are virtually limitless.
We won’t be jumping into the specifics of console commands here but if you’re interested, we have articles on fully customizing your settings and customizing practice servers.
How to open the developer console in CS:GO
Below is a simple step by step guide to help you open the developer console through the options menu, in-game.
- Once you’ve launched CS:GO, you will land on the main menu screen.
- Click the settings icon at the bottom left of the screen and then navigate to the “Game Settings” tab.
- Look for the “Enable Developer Console” option and set it to “Yes”.
- Press “apply”, at the bottom, before moving forward.
- Select “Keyboard and Mouse” settings.
- Look for the “Toggle Console” option at the bottom of the page, click on it and bind it to a memorable key.
- Click “apply”, at the bottom, before moving forward.
- Viola, you’re done.
If you’ve followed the instructions above, when you press the bound console button it’ll bring it up the console whenever and wherever.
This video by Bananagaming is a great resource which shows you how to open and bind the command console, so give it a quick 12 second watch.
Popular CSGO articles:
- 1. Guide - CSGO - How to start improving as a player
- 2. Binds - CSGO - The best CSGO binds
- 3. Autoexec - CSGO - How to create and use an autoexec
- 4. Practice - CSGO - The best practice configuration
- 5. Analysis - CSGO - Which bombsite is the easiest to retake?
Quick overview on what you can do with the console enabled
As mentioned above, entering commands into the developer console is one of the main ways you’ll be able to customize CSGO to fit your wants and needs. You are able to practically customize every aspect of the game’s appearance.
Here’s a quick overview of what’s possible (this list is not exhaustive):
- Completely customize your crosshair
- Customization of your mini-map
- Character bobbing and gun placement
- PC performance monitoring (fps tracker etc)
- Customize practice servers fully
There are nearly endless possibilities when it comes to customizations in CSGO through the developer console. So, begin your journey, learn how to open it up then get used to using it.